Does my Infant have Vision Problems?
Although complications with an infant’s eyes are rare, it is important for parents to be aware of the warning signs. According to the American Optometric Association, the following symptoms may indicate a problem with an infant’s vision:
• Excessive tearing, which can indicate a blocked tear duct;
• Red or “crusty” eyelids, which may be a sign of an infection;
• A white pupil, which occurs in some cancers of the eye;
• Constant turning of the eyes, which may indicate trouble with muscle control;
• Extreme light sensitivity, which could mean the infant has increased pressure in the eye.